Nelson Piquet Jr.
SH Racing Rallycross
- Date of Birth: July 25, 1985
- Home: Brasilia, Brazil
- Website: http://www.nelsonpiquetjr.com
- 2014: 10 starts, 4 podiums, 7 heat wins, 307 points, 4th overall (Supercars); 2 starts, 1 podium, 2 heat wins, 75 points, 8th overall (Lites)
- 2013: 4 starts, best finish 10th, 17 points, 19th overall (Supercars)
- CAREER: 14 starts, 4 podiums, 7 heat wins, 324 points (Supercars); 2 starts, 1 podium, 2 heat wins, 75 points (Lites)
2014 was a tale of two seasons for Nelson Piquet Jr. in Red Bull Global Rallycross.
The first half of the year was as impressive as anything that any driver managed to do all year. Piquet took four podiums and a fourth place in the first five races, taking the Supercar lead in New York and extending it to an impressive 46-point margin at the halfway point in Charlotte. He even moonlighted in a pair of Lites races to help acclimate himself to all-wheel drive racing, taking a podium in Washington DC—becoming the only driver in series history to podium in both classes on the same weekend.
Unfortunately, the run didn’t last. After a so-so weekend in Daytona, the Los Angeles doubleheader ate away Piquet’s entire championship lead and dropped him from the points lead. He recovered with a fourth place run in Seattle and appeared confident in Las Vegas, but a mechanical failure left him out of the main event and ended his season where it started—fourth overall in series points.
With lessons learned from last season, both in how to get the most out of his car and how his opponents plan to race him, expect Piquet to minimize mistakes and contend for the championship once again.