Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross
- Date of Birth: June 13, 1973
- Home: Dana Point, California
- Website: http://www.tannerfoust.com
- 2013: 9 starts, 4 podiums, 7 heat wins, 123 points, 2nd overall (Supercars)
- 2012: 6 starts, 2 wins, 4 podiums, 7 heat wins, 94 points, 1st overall (Supercars)
- 2011: 8 starts, 2 wins, 6 podiums, 4 heat wins, 134 points, 1st overall (Supercars)
- CAREER: 23 starts, 4 wins, 14 podiums, 18 heat wins, 362 points (Supercars)
In perhaps the biggest story of the offseason, the last driver standing from the first Global Rallycross event is moving on.
After three years with OlsbergsMSE that have seen him win two championships and earn a worst season finish of second, Tanner Foust has moved on to greener pastures. The man whose name is more synonymous with rallycross in America than anyone will instead suit up for Andretti Autosport, which will enter the sport as a team owner for the first time and campaign Volkswagens; they’ll run a Polo in the season opener at Top Gear Festival Barbados and Beetles from X Games Austin forward.
Foust’s time at OMSE set the benchmark for success in the series. He never missed a GRC main event until Charlotte last year, holds the current series records for most points and most podiums all-time, and still earned four podium finishes despite failing to earn a victory in 2013.
But the move to Andretti is another step forward for all involved. Foust gets to align himself with one of the most prominent teams in American motorsport. Andretti enters their maiden season with the best driver they could have asked for. As for Global Rallycross, the partnership proves that the sport is taking steps toward racing’s mainstream, attracting bigger and bigger names and getting them to sign stars that the series has already established.
In short, if you’re betting on a new partnership to take the title in 2014, this is where to put your faith.