Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross
- Date of Birth: June 13, 1973
- Home: Dana Point, California
- Website: http://www.tannerfoust.com
- CHAMPIONSHIPS: Supercars 2011, 2012
- 2015: 12 starts, 3 wins, 5 podiums, 6 heat wins, 388 points, 3rd overall (Supercars)
- 2014: 10 starts, 1 win, 1 podium, 10 heat wins, 209 points, 9th overall (Supercars)
- 2013: 9 starts, 4 podiums, 7 heat wins, 123 points, 2nd overall (Supercars)
- 2012: 6 starts, 2 wins, 4 podiums, 7 heat wins, 94 points, 1st overall (Supercars)
- 2011: 8 starts, 2 wins, 6 podiums, 4 heat wins, 134 points, 1st overall (Supercars)
- CAREER: 45 starts, 8 wins, 20 podiums, 34 heat wins, 959 points (Supercars)
No more Mr. Nice Guy. That has to be how Tanner Foust feels after a 2014 Red Bull Global Rallycross fraught with ups and downs.
Expectations were high from day one, as Volkswagen and Andretti Autosport recruited Foust to be the lead driver on the brand new Beetle rallycross project. Though the two-time series champion would have to drive a Polo until the Beetle was race ready, he still managed to score a record-tying fifth Supercar victory at Volkswagen Rallycross NY before giving the new ride a proper “hello” with a debut heat win in Los Angeles. By year’s end, Foust was one of only four drivers with double-digit heat victories.
Unfortunately, the downs outnumbered the ups, removing the series’ most prolific driver (and two-time Fan Favorite Driver of the Year) from title contention early in the year.
A double joker in the Barbados last chance qualifier and rollover in the X Games Austin quarterfinals means that Foust missed the first two finals of the year. Though he won three LCQs from there, no driver plans to spend that much time racing in the do-or-die round. Engine trouble in Los Angeles and contact in the Seattle final spoiled the Beetle’s first two weekends, while a semifinal incident in Las Vegas meant another LCQ and another mid-pack finish.
With the Beetle in his hands from day one and a clean slate to work with, it’s time for Foust to get his revenge on the field for a difficult 2014. If anyone can pull that off, he’s the guy.